Wednesday 7 November 2007

This Short Film is called It's About Bloody Time!



I've been too slack with this blog lately. It's not so much that I don't have the Internet (although that's a factor), it's more to do with the fact I have nothing to write about. Pretty much nothing has gone on in my life since the last post, apart from starting back at Uni and Suzy moving in with me. I did go to Amsterdam a few weeks back though, for the day.

Every so often I get the urge and motivation to do a project of some sort. Whether it be a bit of photography or an idea for a script. This time it's a short film. It's something I've been playing with for about four years, and it was probably four years ago I last thought of making one.

The inspiration behind this urge of creativity is Lars Von Trier. Recently I have rewatched Dancer in the Dark, as well as watching Epidemic, and Images of a Relief, and it's inspired me to want to pick up my DV camera and shoot something.

My idea is to mix documentary-style reality with filmic, story-driven characters - in the way that Von Trier did in Epidemic, which tells the story of two screenwriters writing a movie about a plague (shot in a Dogme, documentary-style), intercut with scenes from the movie they are writing, which is shot in dreamy, filmic style by Henning Bendtsen with overdubbed sound. I would be shooting with a DV camera but using a proper microphone to capture sound and dubbed it over in editing, so it gives it an unusal quality. I would probably use red lighting too.

Whether I will or not remains to be seen. I lose motivation quite quickly when I think to myself I won't be able to make the film I have in my head quite the way it should be made. I'm either a perfectionist, or just plain lazy. Hopefully it's the first reason.

No comments: