Tuesday 20 November 2007

The Genius of Photography (and ways it puts holes in your pockets)


Ok, so I'm sat in the library on campus contemplating whether or not the wide-angle lens I've just bought from eBay was actually necessary. Well, no it wasn't and yes it was. No because I can't really afford it and don't really need it, and yes because it wasn't that expensive and I do really need it. I blame television.
.
Last night I watched one of the programs in a series called The Genius of Photography. It's one of them historically-informative documentaries, this one charting the beginnings of said technology and it's subsequent developments over the last 150 years or so. This particular chapter talked about the period between the 1950's and 1970's, including street photography and the use of colour photographs as 'art' as opposed to commercial uses.

Seeing the photographs of Stephen Shore and Toby Ray Jones for example, inspired me to get up out of my seat right there and then and go out and snap people. Well, it was like night and stuff so I didn't. But seeing that programme last night and seeing these photos made me want to run out in the street and shoot....

Actually, I haven't at all thought this blog entry through and I don't really know what I'm trying to say. Basically I'm planning on taking my camera everywhere from now on and I needed a wide-angle lens to evolve my photos more to include 'the bigger picture', and not a condensed image that a 50mm lens offers. 28mm is the 50mm in my camp. Street photography would be so much simpler.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.